Sturgis Charter Public School is a tuition-free, public high school
that accepts students through public lottery regardless of past
academic records or individual challenges.
The Enrollment Period for Grades 9 and 10
for the 2017-18 School Year will be
December 1 through January 13.
The lottery will be on January 20th.
Learn about Sturgis
There are three opportunities for students to learn about Sturgis directly.
During the Enrollment Period, we host Information Sessions for prospective students and their parents/guardians to learn about the school in an assembly-style setting.
All sessions will be held at 7 PM at Sturgis East, 427 Main Street, Hyannis.
- Thursday, December 1
- Wednesday, December 7
- Tuesday, December 13
- Monday, January 9
We will begin scheduling appointments on the last week of October. Students may shadow between November 1 and January 13. Prospective students may spend a morning or afternoon shadowing at either Sturgis East or West. To arrange a shadow appointment, the parent/guardian should call the main office, 508-778-1782 for East, and 508-771-2780 for West from 8:30-3:00, Monday through Friday. Students generally stay for three class periods. They are asked to arrive at 8:10 for the morning session, or 12:25 for the afternoon session. Parents are asked to report to the main office and sign a form that gives their child permission to be at Sturgis.
Sturgis East and West are open between 6:00 PM and 7:30 PM on Thursday, December 8 and Wednesday, January 25 for tours of the buildings. These group tours will be led by current Sturgis students and will give prospective students and their parents an opportunity to see the school campuses, learn from the current students about their experiences, and ask questions in a group setting.
- Sturgis Charter Public School provides an enrollment period for Grade 9 and 10 applicants. We are not able to accept students for the 11th or 12th grade.
- A complete Enrollment Registration/Application Form must be submitted by the end of the enrollment period. On the application, students may note a campus preference (East or West). The form can be completed online (form here), or downloaded and, either mailed or hand delivered to Sturgis East Campus Monday - Friday from 8:30 - 3:30 EAST CAMPUS ONLY, 427 Main Street, Hyannis, MA 02601. Applications WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED at the West Campus. No applications can be accepted before the enrollment period begins; applications postmarked later than Jan 13 will not be accepted. No additional information (teacher recommendations, test scores, etc) is necessary.
- OPTIONAL- Student and parent/guardian are encouraged to attend one Information Session or, if that is not possible, a private meeting with the Executive Director may be arranged. You do not need to pre-register to attend an Information Session. Information Sessions are held at Sturgis East Campus, 427 Main Street, Hyannis.
- OPTIONAL- Prospective students may spend a morning shadowing at either Sturgis East and West. To arrange a shadow appointment, the parent/guardian should call the main office, 508-778-1782 for East, and 508-771-2780 for West from 8:30-3:00, Monday through Friday. Students generally stay for three class periods. They are asked to arrive at 8:10 for the morning session, or 12:25 for the afternoon session. Parents are asked to report to the main office and sign a form that gives their child permission to be at Sturgis.
- Lottery: If we collect more applications than we have spaces available, we go into lottery. For details on the lottery process, please view our Enrollment Policy.
- Upon receipt of a completed application, the information will be entered into the school’s Applicants database. The computer will assign an Applicant ID number that will be used to disclose the lottery results. The assigned lottery number will be included in the notice of confirmation that will be emailed to the email address provided on the application. If you have not received a email stating that your application has been received within ONE WEEK of mailing it, please contact the school at 508-778-1782 to confirm that we have received the application. If the application is hand delivered, you will receive a receipt at that time.
Lottery results will be made available in the following ways:
- The lottery is open to the public. All applicants, parents/guardians are welcome to attend, but it is not required and will not affect the outcome of the lottery in any way.
- The lottery results will be posted on the school's website the evening of the lottery. Results will be shown by applicant ID#, not by name.
- Students will be informed of their status in writing within two weeks of the date of the lottery.
- To avoid confusion, lottery results WILL NOT be given out over the phone.
- Charter schools are open to all students within the school’s service area, on a space available basis. If more students apply than there are available spaces, a lottery is held to choose who will be admitted in a fair way. All students who wish to attend a charter school have an equal chance of getting in and have an equal right to attend.
- M.G.L. c. 71 §89 (m) states that charter schools shall be open to all students, on a space available basis, and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, or proficiency in the English language or a foreign language, or prior academic achievement.
English Language Learners in Charter Schools:
Notice of Rights to Access and Equity of Educational Services